This time of year we tend to have lots of dry, cracked skin. My son’s skin was super sensitive when he was an infant, and most ointments made his eczema and dry skin worse instead of better. Finally, I found a soothing salve that worked and actually helped heal his skin instead of irritating it more. The problem was, it cost around $11 for a tiny tin of the salve. And whenever I ran out, I either had to drive 20 miles to get more or order some on Amazon and pay even more for shipping. (This was before the wonder that is Amazon Prime!) So, instead, I decided to try my hand at making my own salve so that I could always have it on hand.
Chamomile and calendula flowers are both known as amazing powerhouse herbs. They have both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, making them excellent additions to ointments to promote healing and reduce swelling and irritation. This is my simple recipe for a super soothing herbal salve that works great for eczema, cuts and scrapes, insect bites, burns, chapped lips and dry skin.
Chamomile and Calendula Salve
- 1/2 c. Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 c. dried calendula petals and chamomile flowers
- 1/2 oz. natural beeswax pellets
- Place the dried flowers and petals in a pint mason jar, then cover with the oil.
- Let the oil and flowers sit at room temperature for 4 weeks to infuse, shaking daily.
- Quick Method: place the jar on a wash cloth in a slow cooker. Fill slow cooker with a couple of inches of water and close the lid. Heat on low for between 2-6 hours.
- Once the oil is infused, strain it into a clean jar using a fine sieve or cheesecloth.
- In a double boiler, slowly heat the beeswax until fully melted.
- Pour melted beeswax into infused oil and mix gently.
- Let cool and use on all your dry, chapped skin as needed!